Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 96

Thread: what happened to the Spice Girls?

  1. #71
    Inactive Member Stacey0471's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 16th, 2003
    Posts
    3,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    IH, I agree with your Spice Girl line-up, but then I got thinking...gobby docker, reference to Liverpool maybe? Perhaps Mel C could be gobby docker scouse dyke spice. Geri could just be old spice.

  2. #72
    Inactive Member JayStarr's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 21st, 2003
    Posts
    1,474
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb

    Darren: Hull Film Festival? Ha, shit, I remember one time I was in Hull. I had been invited to the house of a now-well known personage. We also had fish & chips, in a rolled up newspaper of course. This was many, many years ago, and unfortunately the person has since passed away.

    Stacey: I know Mel C. has had more than a few tales told about her and her alleged secret life, but wouldn't Mel B. be more deserving in a sense of the title "Dyke?" She's far more "butch" than any of the others, who are mainly various forms of old-East End stereotype. You know, the cheeky barmaid and all that sort of crap.

    For that matter, they could all be munching the rug as I type this. Then again, who knows how many of those musicians in those late 1970s-'80s all woman bands are/were actually rug munchers themselves.

  3. #73
    Inactive Member Stacey0471's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 16th, 2003
    Posts
    3,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I take your point, Jay. Mel B is more dominant. Mel C is a cross-dressing submissive, in comparison.

  4. #74
    Inactive Member deviantdee's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2004
    Posts
    1,966
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I was refering to Philip Larkin - Hull's very own
    gloom child of poetry.

    The quote - 'Arriving in Hull, aged thirty-two, he
    [Philip Larkin] wrote to his mother, 'Oh dear, the
    future now seems very bleak and difficult' is
    still very pertinent.

    (Martin Amis added: 'It is in the work 'difficult'
    that we hear the authentic quaver of the vale-
    tudinarian.')

    D.

  5. #75
    Inactive Member JayStarr's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 21st, 2003
    Posts
    1,474
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb

    I'm familiar with Philip Larkin. I was making a certain funny and I guess that wasn't clear.

    Dark poet.

  6. #76
    Inactive Member deviantdee's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2004
    Posts
    1,966
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by JayForSure:
    Darren: Hull Film Festival? Ha, shit, I remember one time I was in Hull. I had been invited to the house of a now-well known personage --
    <font size="4" face="Arial">It wasn't ol'Larkin by any chance? I can't really
    see him as a fish n'chips man, though.

    D.

  7. #77
    Inactive Member JayStarr's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 21st, 2003
    Posts
    1,474
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb

    Originally posted by Deviant D:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="4" face="Arial">Originally posted by JayForSure:
    Darren: Hull Film Festival? Ha, shit, I remember one time I was in Hull. I had been invited to the house of a now-well known personage --
    <font size="4" face="Arial">It wasn't ol'Larkin by any chance? I can't really
    see him as a fish n'chips man, though.

    D.
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="4" face="Arial">No, actually it was the late Mick Ronson.

    "Ol' Larkin"...hrmmm. The only Larkin I know of personally, at least that I recall, certainly likes fish, but it is not that person.

  8. #78
    Inactive Member deviantdee's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2004
    Posts
    1,966
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Don't worry about it.

    End of day 1 of Hull Film festivities for me.
    Amongst the high- (and low-)lights: got to meet
    screenwriter John Godber (Brookside, Grange Hill),
    and also, Sean McAllister - both Hull-born-breed-
    and-proud blokes. Godber's got a ?2 million BBC2
    musical planned - 'Well, if you can't aim for the
    stars, then what's the point?' And McAllister's
    got a doco-drama about kidnappings in Iraq in the
    works.

    McAllister's formative works were screened: all of
    them invariably situated in grimy Hull circa '88
    - '04. McAllister's best work - although I know
    he'd disagree (because he claimed that, 'The only
    film I think which matters, is the one I made
    whilst working in a pea factory') - was a doco about
    'Kev', someone quite proud to be have been on the
    dole for 18 years. (League of Gentlemen were to
    rip off the Back To Work scenes mercilessly, for
    'Pauline' and her 'hokey cokey, pig in a pokey.')

    Kev looked/looks hard. During Q&A, someone in the
    audience kept quipping Sean about him. Sean says,
    'He's sitting right behind you, you know.' The
    quipper kept on quipping. 'No, seriously, he
    really is sitting right behind you.' And he was,
    albeit a little fatter than on the circa'98-or-
    so doco: 'It's just old age.'

    Kev doco denouement: Kev turned out to be a bril-
    liant cubist illustrator, but was too self-conscious/
    self-critical to sell them. He gave up
    illustrating after the doco, because Sean, after
    all, exposed his work to the entire world (doco
    was screened on the BBC), although Kev now follows
    Sean around film festivals, like some sort of
    we-can't-even-remember-you-to-even-list-you-in-
    the-alphabetic-hierarchy-of-celebs.

    Strange world.

    D.

    <font color="#FF0000" size="1">[ July 15, 2005 09:10 PM: Message edited by: Deviant D ]</font>

  9. #79
    Inactive Member Ian Rich Rags's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 21st, 2005
    Posts
    1,004
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The Kev Doco is great. I saw it when it went out a few years ago. Kev (or Puddy to his friends) was a real character back in the day. He was a promoter at the Welly Club. he had an Avant garde noise ensembe called What Katy did next, with equally bonkers Hullensian Paul Moller. They used to turn up at the Welly in crazy out sized suits anddance very slowly to James Brown records. They were Hulls Gilbert & George. I always thought Kev was some real arty type who had his fingers in loads of pies until I saw the doco and realised he was just a methadone slacker who was basically too lazy to use his talents. Fit bird though.

  10. #80
    Inactive Member deviantdee's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2004
    Posts
    1,966
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I thought Kev's artwork was really good. Very
    Picasso, of course; but a real shame (maybe?)
    that he didn't pursuit that route. I had also
    had the feeling he simply stopped doing anything
    after the doco, but as you say, he got up to all
    sorts of things. Kev apparently received mountains
    of fan mail - 'Kev, c/o Hull Dole Office' - after
    the doco was broadcasted. McAllister's 'Hessle
    Road' doco (1988) was quite interesting, too... Even
    back then Bransholme was already an apparent no-go
    shithole. When I recently edited a short-film
    students made about feeling safe on the streets,
    in which many people denounced Bransholme, the
    BBC embargoed it as being 'potentially libelous'.

    My arse.

    D.

    <font color="#FF0000" size="1">[ July 16, 2005 11:26 AM: Message edited by: Deviant D ]</font>

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •